Port Hacking High School has a proud history as the original coeducational high school in the Sutherland Shire. What sets Port Hacking apart is that the students exude a keen sense of motivation, a vivacious commitment, and a tenacious spirit, in developing their educational, sporting, creative, physical, social, moral and intellectual mindset. Student potential and their development is nurtured and challenged in a stimulating innovative educational environment, inspiring students to fulfil the tenet of the school motto ‘Ardentibus nil ardui’, to ‘Strive is to Achieve’.
Port Hacking students are encouraged to be resilient in their learning, developing an acute sense of personal responsibility in all pursuits and endeavours, striving to propagate future focussed work ready skills and seizing their boundless potential as they progress through to graduation.
Port Hacking cultivates and instils within students lifelong values of honesty, integrity, empathy, perseverance, tolerance, inclusion and a fundamental emphasis of embracing diversity in all contexts. We expect our students to develop self-discipline in the pursuit of their dreams and aspirations and take pride in their achievements throughout their high school years. We envisage that our students will become visionary leaders of their generation in Australian society and in an ever increasing globalised world. Throughout their time at Port Hacking we believe that their experiences here in this fine school will produce well-balanced confident young adults equipped to contribute to the next chapter of the Australian story.
Port Hacking has developed an authentic reputation throughout the community for:
- academic success;
- sporting prowess;
- highly successful CAPA programs in music, drama and dance;
- highly evolved student leadership programs through the SRC;
- successful public speaking and debating teams;
- well defined welfare practices; and
- highly attuned career’s education and programs and increasing participation in recognising important societal social justice issues that resonate with the community.
Port Hacking is fortunate to enjoy a buoyant school community, committed teachers, devoted parents/carers working in unison and harmony for the betterment of the students. Port Hacking is privileged to have supportive feeder primary schools and a highly evolved ‘Transitions’ programs that enables students from our feeder primary schools to make a seamless transition to a unique and engaging high school environment.
Port Hacking into the future has devised a strategic roadmap to embed ‘Visible Learning’ as the educational philosophy and foundation for our teaching, introduced Project Based Learning into all year 7 classes, and embarked on an extensive capital works program throughout the school to make the campus more aesthetically pleasing.
This capital works program will deliver:
- a new multisport facility for our students;
- install innovative future focused furniture in two key KLA’s English and HSIE so teachers can deliver teaching programs using the latest teaching practices;
- created a future focused learning environment in the library with the latest future focused furniture;
- infuse a wider range of 21st century technologies into teaching practice and install ‘Canvas’ as the school’s new flagship ‘Learning Management System’ providing 24/7 learning opportunities for our students, enabling teachers to provide timely feedback to improve academic performance and to better communicate with students and parents concerning their child’s academic progress.
Port Hacking High School is an invigorating, exciting, innovative school, a place where students find their niche and a place where students want to be.
Mr Brett Hugo (Principal, Port Hacking High School)